Welcome to Shiba...What?

I chose that name because that was probably the first thing I said when I heard about the breed. And, I get that quite often when I have the girls out and they meet new people. Most people have never heard of the breed, although we do occasionally run into someone who actually knows what they are! I do know one thing and that is Shiba owners love to see other Shibas and read about other Shibas. I recently came across I Am Shiba and within a few days, read the whole blog. Many times I found myself laughing so hard I was on the verge of tears. LOL While not every dog is the same, there are enough similarities. Through this blog, I would love to share how I came to have these two beautiful girls, what we have been though and what we are up to. Occasionally even the girls will add their input, they can be very opinionated you know.


Tuesday, May 18, 2010

I am Sami......

And I’m a ice cube-aholic! They say admission is the first step to a cure…..I don’t think so! I have always loved ice cubes and my Mom says I get a little obnoxious at times. She really doesn’t like giving them to me after what happened last year.

I had gotten really sick and Mom noticed that my breath was getting a little stinky. Two different vets said I had a little plaque buildup and that when I got all better, it would be a good idea to get my teeth cleaned. Well, when I had a checkup with my new vet to see how I was doing, again my Mom mentioned the stinky breath.

The new vet, Jill, looked at my teeth and found a big problem. I had a fractured molar that was getting infected and she said looked very painful! She showed my Mom and part of the tooth below the gum was sticking through the gum! So, I was put on antibiotics and scheduled to have my teeth cleaned and have that tooth pulled.

We are not sure how it happened, but my Mom mentioned that I loved to chew on ice and Jill said that ice was not really good on our teeth. That may or may not have caused it. But, since I still love ice, my Mom now only puts less then a half inch of water in the trays and makes very thin ice cubes that are easier to crunch! The best part is, I can now eat more of them!

I am so smart that I figured out where the ice cubes come from and how to get all the ice cubes I want! First, I scratch on the door like the picture shows here. Usually she will come in and throw me a couple cubes.



If that don’t work, I then proceed to chew on the edge of the door. Mom says, thank God that the refrigerator is 22 years old, otherwise she would not be so happy with me scratching and chewing on it.

It that doesn’t work, I find other obnoxious things to do like knock over all the pop and water bottles that are on the floor by the counter. Or, open the cabinet doors that she hasn’t Sami proofed yet and get into the Tupperware.

Usually I don’t get that far before she comes into the kitchen and throws me a couple cubes. She has even gotten a little smart. When I go into one of my ice cube binges, she will get out my cup and put a few cubes in it and throw them to me from her computer chair. She says she even hates to think what would happen if our fridge had a crushed ice cube dispenser on the door. LOL


Two are more fun then one.

1 comment:

  1. Oh man! Didn't realize ice is not good for dog teeth! Yes, thin ice cubes sounds like a good solution, especially with warm days approaching.

    ReplyDelete