Welcome to Shiba...What?

I chose that name because that was probably the first thing I said when I heard about the breed. And, I get that quite often when I have the girls out and they meet new people. Most people have never heard of the breed, although we do occasionally run into someone who actually knows what they are! I do know one thing and that is Shiba owners love to see other Shibas and read about other Shibas. I recently came across I Am Shiba and within a few days, read the whole blog. Many times I found myself laughing so hard I was on the verge of tears. LOL While not every dog is the same, there are enough similarities. Through this blog, I would love to share how I came to have these two beautiful girls, what we have been though and what we are up to. Occasionally even the girls will add their input, they can be very opinionated you know.


Saturday, March 13, 2010

The Walkies have returned!

As reported by Sami and Miko


The Mom’s have said that since the warm weather seems to have returned, we can now go on our daily walks. One in the morning and one in the evening as weather permits. At the mere sound of the word “walk”, we both turn our heads, did we really hear that? Then we hear the magic word again and now we are excited.

Our harnesses are put on and we are ready. The back road on our walk has houses on one side and a nice park area with grass and trees on the other. We see all kinds of wildlife that for some reason we are not allowed to chase. This week we have seen many squirrels and birds. We also saw our friend Julia, a Jack Russell Terrier. Not very friendly we’re afraid. Last year she nipped Sami on the nose. We get to see lots of other dogs and stop occasionally to get some attention from the people in the neighborhood.

We saw a guy riding a bicycle. He said, Nice looking dogs! Okay, he didn’t know what we were, but he recognized the fact that we were nice looking.

We also had a squirrel tease us. It ran only a couple feet up a pole and went on the other side and peaked at us. So, Mom took us closer and we chased him around the pole a few times and then he jumped off the pole and ran across the street. We would have been all over him if it hadn’t been for the leashes.

One interesting thing we discovered on our walks this week are two different kinds of balls. The first one we found has all kinds of spikes on it. One of the Mom’s kicked one and Miko attacked it. Then I got one. Not sure I like it that well. It seems fun to play with, but has these spikes on them that makes them hard to chew. Did I mention that they have spikes on them? So, I just pawed around at it and played with it and was careful not to get stuck by it, I’m pretty sure I mentioned that they have spikes on them.

The second ball is about the same size, but much smoother. Easier to grab and play around with. We did find out the drawback of these smoother balls. If you play too hard with them, they have this tendency to fall apart. Kind of fuzzy inside, and don’t taste all that great. When the ball falls apart, it’s just best to find a new one.




We haven’t been able to explore the whole park yet as the ground is really mushy right now from all the snow that melted. Hopefully it will dry out soon so we can go down by the creek. At least we are able to make it to a couple different trees. Hey, us girls like to check things out also!

Today and tomorrow it’s supposed to rain, so our walks have been cancelled, but hopefully it will clear up tomorrow night and we will get to go on our scheduled walk Monday morning when Mom gets off work.

Two is more fun then one.

No comments:

Post a Comment