Welcome to Shiba...What?

I chose that name because that was probably the first thing I said when I heard about the breed. And, I get that quite often when I have the girls out and they meet new people. Most people have never heard of the breed, although we do occasionally run into someone who actually knows what they are! I do know one thing and that is Shiba owners love to see other Shibas and read about other Shibas. I recently came across I Am Shiba and within a few days, read the whole blog. Many times I found myself laughing so hard I was on the verge of tears. LOL While not every dog is the same, there are enough similarities. Through this blog, I would love to share how I came to have these two beautiful girls, what we have been though and what we are up to. Occasionally even the girls will add their input, they can be very opinionated you know.


Thursday, September 2, 2010

Not very tasty

August was a very dry month for us.  Especially the second half.  But last night, shortly after I got to work, the rain finally came.  So, it seemed logical that some things that depend on the rain would be out and about this morning.

After the girls ate, I took Sami out for the second time.  As we were walking across the yard, I saw something move on the ground just ahead.  Just as I figured out what it was, a toad, Sami snatched it before I could pull her back.  I told her to drop it, which she did, but before I could pull her back, the toad moved and she grabbed it again.  I told her to drop it again, but I really don't think I needed to tell her that, for as soon as she dropped it the second time, she started shaking her head, spewing saliva everywhere.

Toads can be dangerous for your pets.  Toads have a few defenses to avoid being eaten.  One thing they do is take in air and puff up to look larger then they are and make it hard for say a snake to swallow them.  The other thing they do is secrete a toxin from the large glands behind the eyes.  Well, I think that is what happened and Sami didn't think it tasted too good.

The toad was curled up in a ball on it's back and I was hoping that she didn't hurt it.  After a few minutes of shaking her head, she finally got her business done.  On the way back to the house, I went over to where the toad was and it appeared unharmed and hunkered down by the oak tree.  It then jumped and Sami really wanted it.  It was all I could do to pull her away.  On the plus side of this, this was the 4th toad I've seen in the yard this year.  So, if you have toads in your area, be careful that your pets don't get a hold of them.  I plan on keeping a close eye on Sami today to make sure she is not suffering any side effects from the toad.

Two is more fun then one.

No comments:

Post a Comment